Sunday, December 19, 2010

Apple pie


Apple pie was the first thing I ever baked all by myself. I was something around 11 I think. Before that I helped my mom bake many cookies and pies and cakes and...

My mom has this "cooking book" which is pretty much an agenda which my grandma filled with her recipes when my mom got married. Horrible, doctor's handwriting, sometimes impossible to understand, sometimes you guess. But one thing I know for sure. Whatever is in there, is tested and is SUPER good! So when we were baking the apple pie together with my mom I remembered on which "date" of the agenda it was and few weeks later decided to surprise her when she would come back from work. Once I was home after school I started it. I accidentally doubled the amount of the baking powder that I was supposed to add and that affected the taste a bit, but it was still eatable. Also it was a bit of a struggle to turn on the soviet oven. But finally it turned out fine. Not great, but for the first attempt not bad at all.

Since then I've made many different apple pies but this one always remains my all time favorite. Now I remember all the ingredients and amounts by heart and it really takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare it (plus baking of course).

INGREDIENTS:


4 eggs

300gr white sugar
350-370gr white flour

2 pinches baking powder

2 tbsp white vinegar

3-4 apples, preferably sour

2 handfuls black raisins (optional)

2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)

1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)


1. Beat the eggs with the sugar, until light and creamy and the sugar has dissolved.

2. Mix in the flour and half of the cinnamon.

3. Add the baking powder and the vinegar. Mixing them causes a chemical reaction, which releases air bubbles. Try to mix the pastry in such a way, so that you capture those bubbles inside. They will make the pastry grow in the oven. Set the mixture aside for about 5 minutes.
4. Lay a deep baking tray with foil or oiled baking paper. Slice the apples (don't remove the skin) and lay them at the bottom of the tray. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Throw the raisins on top.
5. Preheat the oven. Bake the pie for about 30-40 minutes or until you can stick a match in it and it comes out clean.

6. Let the pie cool and serve it with some sliced apples and whipped cream.

It's amazing and it's also a good solution when sudden guests are coming over. ;)

1 comment:

mia maria said...

Πολύ ωραία η μηλόπιτα σου! Καλές γιορτές με υγεία και ευτυχία!